Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Review: Mary Anne Saves the Day (BSC Graphix Series) by Ann M. Martin & Raina Telgemeier

Title: Mary Anne Saves the Day (BSC Graphix Series)
Author: Ann M. Martin and Raina Telgemeier
Publisher: Scholastic, Inc.
Publication Date: September 1, 2007
Genre: Children's Graphic Novel

Summary (from back of book): When the Baby-Sitters Club girls get into a huge fight, Mary Anne is left to her own devices. She has to eat by herself in the school cafeteria, figure out how to make new friends, and deal with her overprotective father. But the worst thing to happen is a baby-sitting emergency where she can't turn to her friends for help!
Can Mary Anne solve all her problems and save the Baby-Sitters Club from falling apart?

Review: The Baby-sitter's Club books were one of my favorite book series growing up. I remember devouring the books when I was little and constantly begging my parents to go to the library so I could bring home another one. When I first heard that the BSC series was being made into graphic novel format I had two simultaneous reactions: "THAT'S AWESOME!!! I need to go to the bookstore to get this ASAP!!" and "Wait..what if they RUIN it?"

So I bit the bullet, picked up the first few and hoped for the best. I'm happy to report that I haven't been disappointed in the least. I think Mary Anne Saves the Day is probably my favorite of the three I've read so far (there are 4 in the graphic novel format.) The comic strip layout is an interesting and fresh way to read the series. Although it will never replace the original books, Raina Telgemeier manages to capture all the significant parts of the storyline through art in a way that sucked me in just like when I was reading the books as a kid.

I'm definitely looking forward to picking up the next installment: Claudia and Mean Janine. My only qualm is that there are no plans (that I know of, anyway) to continue with any more of the books in this graphic novel format.

3 comments:

  1. Hm. I was going to comment just about the cover change... (I like it except that I liked the original covers!!) but then I read that it's in graphic novel format? I'm skeptical too so I guess it will take me actually reading it to change my mind, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny - I miss the original covers too. This definitely isn't a replacement, but for me it was a cool way to re-read a part of the series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish that all of the new books, graphic novels or new novels, would use the original covers. They are really creative and help catch the eye.

    ReplyDelete